42. The oldest building is the Parish Church, dedicated to Saint Alkmund, a Northumbrian prince and Mercian martyr of 800AD. It was built in stone in the twelfth century near the Derwent bridge half a mile south of the village on the site of the original Saxon church of wood. Many additions have been made to it, most obviously the tower in the fifteenth century and the spire somewhat later when the tower had stopped subsiding. Of note in the church are the Mynors Tomb from 1536, the Bradshaw Memorial from 1600 and its fine peal of ten bells that were installed in 1887 and re- cast in 1933. The adjoining Parish Hall opened in 1992.